Smith, Gambrell & Russell, LLP’s Private Client Group advises individuals and families on wealth transfer planning strategies, planning for future generations, and planning for family owned business enterprises.
The attorneys in Smith, Gambrell & Russell’s Private Client Group are a dynamic group of individuals with substantial expertise in guiding clients in the tax efficient transfer of assets during life and at death. We represent individuals and their families and address issues specific to the client – facilitating the succession of the closely-held business, advising on providing for special needs, settling an estate, or dealing with family disputes.
Among our Group’s areas of practice are estate and gift tax planning, philanthropic and family legacy planning, the administration of decedent’s estates and the administration of trusts, fiduciary litigation, and the management and succession planning of family held businesses. We work closely with our colleagues in other practice areas – corporate, real estate, litigation, tax – drawing on the experience and skills of our firm to enable us to advise our clients on all aspects concerning their planning matters.
Estate and Gift Tax Planning
SGR’s Private Client Group provides sophisticated and strategic legal and tax advice in domestic and international areas of generational wealth transfer planning, including:
- Estate and lifetime gift planning
- Planning for non-U.S. persons
- Family business and governance planning
- Generation-skipping planning
- Specials needs trusts planning for persons with disabilities
- Prenuptial agreements
- Business succession planning
Philanthropic and Family Legacy Planning
- Philanthropic planning
- Advising on the creation, operation, and administration of charitable trusts, foundations, and public charities
Administration of Estates and Trusts
- Probating wills, administering estates, estate and gift tax filings, and judicial and informal accountings
- Representation of fiduciaries in tax disputes with the Internal Revenue Service and state and local taxing authorities (income, estate and gift tax)
- Advising trustees with respect to trust administration
- Advising trust beneficiaries
Fiduciary and Probate Litigation
SGR’s attorneys represent corporate trust departments, individuals, trustees, personal representatives/executors, guardians, and beneficiaries. Our attorneys handle:
- Will contests
- General probate, trust and estate litigation
- Judicial accounting disputes and objections to estate and trust accountings
SGR was named a Tier 1 firm for Trusts & Estates Law for the Atlanta, Georgia metropolitan area in the 2011-2012 U.S. News — Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” rankings.