Smith, Gambrell & Russell, LLP attorneys have extensive experience representing both investors and issuers of all types in private equity/venture capital transactions.
Investor clients have included buyout firms, venture capital firms, funds and domestic and foreign investors of all types, focused on all different stages of investment–start-up capital, growth capital, mature private equity, management buyouts and recapitalizations. Issuer clients have ranged from established operating companies in mature industries to startup technology companies.
Issues that are routinely addressed in this area include strategizing over optimal deal structures, registration rights, put and call provisions, co-sale rights, drag along rights, preemptive rights, liquidation preferences and participation rights, anti-dilution provisions, exit strategies, preferential voting provisions, Board membership and other corporate governance issues, conversion and redemption features, information rights and optimal allocations of equity (whether in the form of capital stock, options, warrants or otherwise).
- Representation of a cleaning and handyman services app founder on various entity formation and employment matters.
- Representation of a healthcare technology company on their Series A financing.
- Representation of an online women’s clothing company on their Series A and Series B financing.
- Representation of a US purchaser in the acquisition of a German-based entity in the industrial laser industry from a German private equity group.
- Representation of a fund-less private equity sponsor in its acquisition of businesses in various industries, including quick service restaurants and transportation and logistics.
- Representation of a private equity-backed robotics technology company with intellectual property matters in connection with both venture and strategic investments.
- Representation of a private equity fund in connection with its proposed purchase of a portfolio of approximately US$500 million in life insurance assets to be owned beneficially by an Irish domiciled investment fund.
- Representation of the sponsor and managing general partner of various oil and natural gas investment partnerships in its various investments.
- Representation of the principal sponsor of a fund formed to purchase credit card accounts receivables, including in connection with obtaining equity and debt financing for the fund.