On January 5, 2011, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (“USCIS”) issued a revised version of its Handbook for Employers – Instructions for Completing Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification Form). Links to English and Spanish versions of the Handbook can be found on the USCIS website.
The Handbook provides wide-ranging information regarding various I-9 related issues, including:
- Circumstances in which an employer must complete a Form I-9
- Information that an employer must include in a Form I-9
- Employer record-keeping requirements
- Unlawful discrimination and retaliation related to citizenship/immigration status, national origin or the I-9 process
- I-9 compliance by employers who use E-Verify
- Other issues that may arise during the compliance process
Employers are encouraged to carefully review the new Handbook and, if any questions arise, to contact your employment counsel at Smith, Gambrell & Russell, LLP.