- 05/21/13New Indiana Law Restricts Use of Criminal RecordsEffective July 1, 2013, Indiana will permit the expungement of certain criminal records and prohibit employer discrimination based on the expungement of any current or prospective employee’s conviction or arrest record.
- 05/15/13DOL Releases Marketplace Guidance and Model Notices – October 1 DeadlineOn May 8, 2013, the Department of Labor (“DOL”) issued Technical Release 2013-02 (“Technical Release”), which provides temporary guidance and model notices addressing the requirement to notify employees regarding coverage available under the Health Insurance Marketplace (“Marketplace”) in accordance with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (“PPACA”).
- 05/10/13DOL Issues Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on Lifetime Income IllustrationsOn May 7, 2013, the Department of Labor ("DOL") issued an advance notice of proposed rulemaking ("ANPRM") that would require that periodic pension benefit statements provided to participants in defined contribution retirement plans (such as 401(k) and 403(b) plans) contain lifetime income illustrations.
- 05/03/13Agencies Issue New Summary of Benefits and Coverage Requirements and TemplatesOn April 23, 2013, the Departments of Labor, Treasury, and Health and Human Services (the “Agencies”) released additional FAQs addressing the summary of benefits and coverage (“SBC”) requirements under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (“PPACA”).
- 04/03/13ICANN Trademark Clearinghouse Open for BusinessThe Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (“ICANN”) recently opened a Trademark Clearinghouse (“TMCH”) designed to protect registered trademarks.
- 03/22/13Mandated Paid Sick Leave - Now and In the FutureMore U.S. cities and states are considering mandating paid sick leave. Only four cities, Portland, San Francisco, Washington, D.C., and Seattle, and one state, Connecticut, have enacted legislation mandating that all workers be provided with paid sick leave.
- 03/20/13Court of Federal Claims Upholds Application of Code Section 409A to Discounted Stock OptionsSection 409A of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended ("409A"), contains strict rules applicable to most forms of deferred compensation.
- 03/20/13Supreme Court Rules that the Copyright “first sale” Doctrine Applies to Copies of a Copyrighted Work Lawfully Made AbroadOn Tuesday, the Supreme Court ruled that the “first sale” doctrine applies to lawful sales that have occurred outside of the United States.
- 03/11/13New Form I-9 ReleasedOn March 8, 2013, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services ("USCIS") released a new Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9.
- 03/06/13Sequestration and Visa AdjudicationsVisa applicants should be aware of the possibility of delays in the visa application processes at U.S. consulates abroad.