Executive Compensation and Employee Benefits
- 02/21/12 Group Health Plan Sponsors Should Prepare for Possible HIPAA Audits The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (the HITECH Act) requires the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to provide for periodic audits to ensure that covered entities (health care providers, health plans and health care clearinghouses) and business associates are complying with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) privacy and security rules.[^1]
- 03/30/12 Supreme Court Deliberates Constitutionality of PPACA with Wide-Reaching Implications for Plan Sponsors Generally, the impact of the Supreme Court's ruling on group health plan sponsors will depend upon whether the Supreme Court decides to invalidate the individual mandate and strike down the remaining provisions of PPACA.
- 03/01/13 PPACA: Regs Increase Wellness Rewards Last November, the departments of Health and Human Services, Labor and Treasury released proposed regulations addressing the provisions regarding employer-sponsored wellness programs under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
- 04/15/12 Feds issue regs on SBC requirement In February, the Departments of Labor, Treasury, and Health and Human Services issued final regulations implementing the new summary of benefits and coverage requirement under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
- 09/30/11 Health Care Reform: Impacting Employers Now And In The Future Now that the one-year anniversary of the enactment of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 (PPACA) has come and gone, it is an appropriate time to look back at the compliance challenges employers have faced, and to anticipate the challenges still to come.
- 06/01/11 Three Steps to Understanding Estate Tax Relief The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization and Job Creation Act of 2010 took trust and estate lawyers largely by surprise when it was enacted last December, as it contained several unexpected changes.
- 06/01/12 No delay for SBC requirement: Government issues further guidance on summary of benefits and coverage On March 19, the Departments of Labor, Treasury, and Health and Human Services jointly issued FAQs addressing the new summary of benefits and coverage requirement under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
- 04/15/10 The Trials and Tribulations of Health Care Reform What President Obama's Health Care Agenda Means for You
- 04/01/08 What’s New in Employment Law? On November 7, 2007, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced the release of a revised Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. An official notice about the new form was published in the Federal Register on November 26, 2007.
- 07/01/12 Guidance Issued on Fees for Research In April, the Internal Revenue Service issued proposed regulations on collecting fees from health insurance issuers and self-insured group health plan sponsors for establishing the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Trust Fund, as required under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
- 09/04/12 Guidance Clarifies FSA Changes: IRS Contemplates Modifications to Use-It-Or-Lose-It Rule Earlier this year, the Internal Revenue Service issued Notice 2012-40, which provides guidance on the changes made to health flexible spending arrangements under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.